Accomplished...

So tonight was our last night of book work school for fire school and WOW did I learn a lot. I only know the tip of the iceburg when it comes to being a fire fighter, but I feel like I know so much more than I did before. I feel like I can actually be on a fire scene now and know what I am doing and actually be able to help. We still have a few more days left, but after tonight it is all hands on learning. This Saturday we have a full day of hands on... we have a timed test where we have to put on our full gear (boots, pants, coat, nomex, SCBA, mask, helmet, gloves) in 2 minutes, then we have to go through an obstical course... BLIND! Then we have ladder training and I have no idea how high up the ladder we are going to have to go, but really I am not scared at all of that. I think I am more nervous about getting lost in the course than anything, but oh well. Maybe I will get lucky and find my way out fast... maybe. I think we will also be doing some rescue techniques and hose work on Saturday too. Then from noon on April 3rd to noon on April 5th we will be at the Tennessee Fire Service & Codes Academy the whole time doing live burn!!! I am so excited about that weekend... finally we get to play with real fire!!! WOOT!

But I know about so much now it feels awesome! I forgot how good it feels to go to school and learn something... so here's a little list of some of the things we've learned and I am sure I will forget some of them...

safety
gear
fire extinguishers
hoses
ladders
sources of water
ventilation
search and rescue
overhaul and salvage
fire behavior
construction
tools
sizeup
types of dangers
knots (clove hitch, figure 8, figure 8 on a bite, figure 8 with a follow through, sheet knot and bowline)

And yea, my mind is blank now... I think I need sleep. LOL!

Night!

No comments